As a Registered Architect I follow a project from start to finish through all phases of design and construction. I have professional liability for the consulting services I provide and am bound by a professional code of ethics. In other words, I am accountable. My fees respond to the amount of actual work involved and the skill level required to perform the tasks. Therefore, there is no incentive for me to encourage my clients to spend more and more money. In fact, my role as an Architect is to look out for my client’s best interest. While others during the construction process may try to talk you into something that might not benefit you, I am there to provide the facts you need to make informed decisions.
My services on residential projects include the following:
- Preparation of as-built drawings (for renovations)
- Site analysis and bylaw summary
- Schematic design (conceptual sketch options)
- Design Development
- Development Permit Application (includes corresponding with City officials)
- Interior Design
- Construction Drawings and Specifications
- Building Permit Application
- Manage inquiries from bidding contractors
- Work collaboratively with the contractor to help with any issues during construction
- Coordination with other consultants
- Coordination with suppliers as requested by the client or contractor
- Site Planning & Design
- Sustainable design and concept implementation
Sometimes it makes sense to invest in a relatively inexpensive consulting service to determine if the project you are contemplating is really viable. This work involves producing a written report which considers and evaluates relevant issues for the project such as: a summary of the development bylaws, physical building evaluation, site analysis, preliminary cost estimate etc.
Projects with limited scope
Not all projects require the list of services indicated above. I accept projects with a limited scope where the design services are customized for you. Some examples are:
- A design to improve the front of a house to achieve “curb appeal”
- Designing a barrier-free ramp or washroom
- Designing custom millwork or cabinetry
- Selecting interior or exterior finishes
I like to work as a team with my client and the contractor. Other consultants or specialists can also make up the Project Team such as:
- Structural Engineer
- Building Envelope Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Electrical Engineer
- Survey Consultant
- Environmental Engineer
- Landscape Designer
I discuss my fees in detail during the initial consultation. For residential projects, fees are based on hourly rates with different rates applied to the parts of the work which I must perform myself versus other tasks such as drafting, product sourcing and 3D computer modeling that can be performed by other staff.
Once the project goals have been defined I can put together a fixed fee which is broken down into the various phases of the work. I will also seek fee proposals from any other consultants and specialists that are anticipated for the project.